Director of Business Development
You relish digging in and analyzing an organization, and its products and services, to create a competitive advantage. You have a keen eye in identifying rising business opportunities and you leverage this business intelligence to surpass an organization’s goals. You use your artful and strategic negotiation skills to navigate relationships, manage conflict and persuade those around you to collaborate to get things done. You know when to compromise and when to take a stand. You are tactful, diplomatic and thrive in constant pressure. You are a dynamic leader who knows how to win hearts, minds and trust.
If this sounds like you (or someone you know), please keep reading!
The Director of Business Development directs and oversees the leadership, strategic direction and implementation of sales and sponsorship solutions for current and new customers including industry, health systems and institutions, and international licensing for the Academy’s portfolio of products and services.
Keeps abreast of industry trends, competitors’ services and acquisitions. Works in conjunction with all Academy stake holders to develop, respond, and drive new business opportunities across all stages of the business development lifecycle, including prospecting, presenting, solution definition, establishing marketing plans, deal structure, contract negotiation, and relationship management / growth. Proven ability to secure new client relationships to expand client base, build awareness, develop and maintain long-term client relationships to ensure repeat business.
Leadership to the internal teams on strategic selling including buying influences as well as training and ensuring the proper sales processes to achieve, monitor and track sales including weekly reporting on sales activities, capabilities presentations, RFPs and other sales related data. Plays an integral part in reviewing the Academy’s business and works with executive leadership to continually refine the Academy’s growth strategy.
Serves as key liaison to commercial partners, and volunteer led committees. Communicates consistently and effectively with all stakeholders to ensure both AAOS and partners are aligned, and internal and external expectations are clearly met.
Directs and manages the budget process for the team including working collaboratively across the Academy. Performs administrative duties of department head including budgeting, scheduling, directing weekly/monthly staff meeting; carrying out and overseeing performance and salary reviews; representing the department at related meetings.
- Develop a deep understanding of the orthopaedic market and industry.
- Own and manage the business development life cycle from start to finish including all necessary relationships.
- Screen potential deals for viability by analyzing market strategies, terms, financial implications and internal priorities and capabilities.
- Create proposals, presentations and other documents for sales, partner development, and/or internal use in the evaluation of business opportunities.
- Consult, advise, and counsel on Academy strategy, partnership management and product development initiatives.
- Shape the future of the organizations engagement with external organizations, including industry, trade shows, new product development (NPD), international partnerships, licensing opportunities, and regulatory agencies.
- Improve financial profitability by identifying new business opportunities to increase revenue, including registry sales, educational promotions, novel solutions.
- Develop strategy for long-term growth by collaborating with industry, health systems and institutions, and society members.
- Manage quarterly pipeline review meetings to identify, track, support, and close new and existing opportunities across the Academy
- Actively manage the Industry Relations Workgroup, a member volunteer committee, to explore new opportunities and relationships that drive additional revenue growth.
- Master’s degree in business administration or related field or a Bachelor’s degree in a related field with significant experience.
- 10 - 15 years of proven growth of a sales organization. Experience in both licensing/subscription sales and industry a plus.
- Strong leadership skills and proven ability of staff mentorship and growth
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously and working well under pressure.
- Proven success identifying potential business growth opportunities, developing strategic business plans and executing on the new opportunities.
- Considerable hands-on strategic planning experience at similar or complex organizations.
- Experience with financial planning, budgets and strategic metrics and hitting targets.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with strong ability to influence others and build a collaborative environment.
- Impeccable communication skills and an ability to foster relationships with external allies, decision makers, and stakeholders; to work in both a team atmosphere and independently; and to meet internal and external demands in a fluid environment.
- Must be a strategic thinker with sound judgment and excellent political acumen.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative data analytics skills and an ease in synthetizing data into productive information.
What Success Looks Like:
- Organizational revenue growth greater than 5% annually.
- Strong partnerships with business leaders that continually generates a stream of new products or services.
- Increased surplus generation to fuel key mission areas.
- AAOS is the recognized “go to” partner by industry, health systems, and external parties for everything related to orthopaedics.
- Empowerment: The authority, information, and skills to make decisions and drive results
- Accountability: Ownership of results that drives decisions and ensures implementation
- Continuous Learning: Investment in staff self-development to become more adaptable and makes the Academy more agile, innovative, and sustainable
- Teamwork: Effective and selfless collaboration to solve complex problems and drive innovation that is beyond the scope of any one individual
If this describes YOU, please apply by sharing the following:
-Clearly communicate why you are the ideal candidate for this role, providing specific examples and experiences as proof points.
-Attach your resume, cover letter, salary expectation and any additional materials that support your application