Director, Project Management Office
You are known for being a transformational leader, one who brings about positive change and innovation. You are focused on execution- the art, science and discipline of getting things done, while being mindful of and striking a natural balance between people, process, technology, customer satisfaction and strategy. You relish getting a deep understanding of the mission and vision of an organization and designing strategy on how to get there, while using your hands-on technical expertise in managing projects, programs and strong leadership skills that encourage everyone to come along for the journey.
If this sounds like you, please read on!
The Project Management Office Director will be responsible for successful and on time delivery of projects across the organization. This role is accountable for leading a team of project managers and business analysts that execute priority initiatives in partnership with both business and shared services team members. This role will serve as key to designing and maintaining the cross-organizational processes that support implementation best practices. Additionally, this role will serve to lead organizational change through partnering with business leads and team members in applying standards in planning and execution as well as owning the organizational project intake process, providing leadership and oversight for the prioritization of projects, their alignment to the organization’s strategic plan and managing change project change control related to the strategic plan and the organizational portfolio.
- Develops, manages and monitors project domain portfolios to ensure alignment to PMO standards and the organizational strategic plan; provide up-to-date, accurate, meaningful views of project status and on-time delivery of projects and programs.
- Leads and/or participates in strategic and tactical planning in partnership with executives and business leaders to identify, scope and prioritize initiatives; collaborate across teams to align business needs and cross-organizational goals.
- Manages and owns the project intake and selection process; maintain a flexible process that enables ownership at the business line level but that ensures defined ROI and considerations for resource and budget capacity thresholds and that defines key metrics for measuring resource capacity and cost thresholds to inform prioritization.
- Partners with Technology & Data Services to assess technology solutions and to complete ROM estimates to inform portfolio planning’ make recommendations related to portfolio sequencing and prioritization as needed to drive outcomes and optimize portfolio performance.
- Monitors portfolio performance, identify and raise portfolio issues and risks for mitigation, resolution or escalation to the appropriate level on a timely basis; foster accountability of cross-functional teams to resolve project issues and ensure project success.
- Understands the interdependencies between technology, operations and business needs and drive cross-roadmap/portfolio dependencies and prioritization decisions for business line roadmaps
- Owns project implementation methodologies to enable standard implementation practices; evolve methodologies based on organizational need and maturity.
- Ensures consistent, data driven status reporting is in place at the portfolio, domain and project level leveraging MS Project server and Power BI.
- Partners with Finance to ensure adherence to capital budgets and accurate reporting of capital expenditures and forecasts.
- Collaborates with business line leaders to support product strategy and technical implementation to support business objectives and translate vision into implementation tactics; ensure project roadmaps are maintained and updated quarterly that align to both operational and strategic plan goals.
- Provides leadership through developing and maintaining organization-wide practices and processes to ensure scope, business case, project objectives, milestones are well defined, understood, measured and reported effectively.
- Drives the adoption of strong project management principles through training, education, and adoption of standardized tools that elevate the practices of individuals and departments throughout the organization.
PMO Operations & Team Management
- Maintains department budget and staff allocation forecasts to support organizational financial goals.
- Acquires and retains talent for PMO team member positions; ensures effective succession planning.
- Builds PMO team member performance management and professional development plans and maintain staff engagement through proactive leadership and coaching.
- Conducts periodic project audits to ensure PMO standards consistently applied across projects.
- Executes wide latitude in determining objectives and approaches to critical work in a manner that supports business strategy, champion and coach teams towards best practices and alignment of standards.
- Leads continuous improvement activities through ensuring completion of lessons learned and subsequent updates to standards and methodologies.
Exemplifies the following essential values of the Academy:
- Teamwork: Effective collaboration and team-focus to solve complex problems and drive innovation.
- Empowerment: The authority, information, and skills to make decisions and drive results.
- Accountability: Ownership of process and results that drive decisions and ensure implementation.
- Mindset of Growth/Continuous Learning: Focused on and invested in self and staff development to become more adaptable, making the Academy more agile, innovative, and sustainable.
- 10+ years of program management experience on progressively more complex projects
- 7+ years of leading and managing people
- 4+ years of experience in Agile transformation and working knowledge of various agile methodologies, with demonstrated experience in at least one.
- High competency and knowledge in software engineering, product development, and general business processes
- Formal training in project or portfolio management methodologies and/or certifications
- Proven success in portfolio management and large-scale, enterprise-wide product development delivery from strategy to execution, involving cross-functional teams in business, operations and technical domains
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to challenge the status quo
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and work in a dynamic, results-oriented environment
- Naturally organized, analytical and detailed oriented. Energetic self-starter passionate about professional integrity and excellence with a positive attitude and contagious enthusiasm
- Strong relationship building/partnering skills and the ability to work with varying levels of individual contributors and management. Comfortable presenting to executives
- Delivery experience using Agile and Waterfall methodologies
- Strategic Enterprise Thinking
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Change Management Certification
- Experience working in a non-profit or professional association environment
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) requires full COVID-19 vaccination of any employee in a position that is onsite, works remotely or includes business travel. If you have questions about this policy, please contact Crystal Kaminski, Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
If this describes YOU, please apply by sharing the following:
-Clearly communicate why you are the ideal candidate for this role, providing specific examples and experiences as proof points.
-Attach your resume, cover letter and any additional materials that support your application.